You will fall in love with this wonderful seafood medley recipe by Emeril Lagasse, from the 2007 Classic in Aspen!
Wine Pairing: We suggest an exquisite French rosé, 2015 Domaine de Fontsainte Gris de Gris (750ml, $15.99).
- 1/2 cup Piri Piri sauce
- One large (1.5 lb) Maine lobster
- 1 lb fresh fettuccine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup finely shredded basil leaves
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 12 large wild American shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 tbsp. Emeril’s Original Essence or creole seasoning
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 oz coarsley chopped chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 3 tbsp. minced shallots
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped tomatoes
- 12 small clams, scrubbed and rinsed
- 12 mussels, scrubbed, rinsed and debearded
- 3 cups shrimp stock or clam juice
- 12 freshly shucked oysters, liquor reserved
- Put the Piri Piri sauce in a bowl and let stand at room temperature for several hours until the oil separates. Carefully skim off 1/4 cup of the oil and transfer to a separate container. Reserve the solids.
- Fill a medium stockpot three-fourths full with salted water and bring to a boil. Plunge the lobster in headfirst, cover and cook until red, about 7 minutes.
- Using tongs, carefully transfer the lobster to a large bowl of ice water to cool. When the lobster is cool enough to handle, twist off the tail and claws. Crack the shells and remove the meat. Discard the intestinal vein that runs the length of the tail. Coarsely chop the meat and reserve.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain the pasta in a colander and return it to the pot. Add the reserved Piri Piri oil, 1/4 cup of the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, 2 tbsp. of the basil, 1 tsp. of the salt and the white pepper. Toss well to evenly coat the pasta. Cover and keep warm.
- Season the shrimp with the essence and the remaining 1 tsp. of salt.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the chorizo and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 2 minutes. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the shrimp and stir for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, clams, mussels, the reserved solids from the Piri Piri sauce and the shrimp stock.
- Cover and simmer until the clams and mussels open, about 4 minutes. Add the oysters, their liquor and the chopped lobster and cook, stirring, until the oysters start to curl around the edges, about 2 minutes. Discard any clams or mussels that don’t open.
- Swirl the pasta in the center of 6 large plates. Use a slotted spoon to surround the pasta with the seafood. Pour the broth over the pasta, garnish with the remaining cheese and basil and serve immediately.
This recipe is courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2007 Classic in Aspen.