Prep time – 25 – 30 minutes
Cooking time – 5 minutes
Serves – 4 to 6
Serving suggestions – lunch / by itself.
Dinner – with hummus and toasted pita bread
- 14 oz – tuna steaks
- 1 small red onion, julienne sliced
- 1 tomato – roma or other low seed varietal
- 1 small red bell pepper (pimento) seeded, chopped and julienne sliced
- 14 oz can of cannellini beans, rinsed and dried in a colander
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 4 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Sea salt and fresh coarse black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 3 1⁄2 ounces arugula leaves, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
Place tuna on a plate, sprinkle with pepper on both sides. Cover. Combine the onion, tomato and red pepper in a bowl. Rinse the beans under cold water for 30 seconds and drain. Add to the bowl with the garlic, thyme and 3 Tablespoons of parsley. Place the lemon juice, olive oil and honey in a saucier or deep skillet, bring to a soft boil, then simmer, constantly stirring as not to burn the honey. Simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat.
Brush a barbecue grill or broiler with olive oil and heat until very hot. Cook the tuna for 1 minute on each side. The meat should still be a little pink on the inside. Remove from grill. Slice the tuna into 1 1⁄4 inch cubes and combine with the salad. Place the arugula leaves on a platter. Top with the salad. Season and garnish with the lemon zest, remaining parsley, sea salt and red pepper flakes.
Complement this dish with the Zenato Pinot Grigio (750ml) – $12.99
Beautiful and rich fruit accents and fresh acidity give this refreshing white wine balance, grace and flavor.
Recipe courtesy of: Thompson Family Cookbook