Fire up the grill and trade burger patties for grilled lamb!
Recipe courtesy of CSWS Team Member Richard and his dog Bella.
Wine Pairing: Richard recommends a good quality Rhone such as Chateauneuf du Pape if you are feeling extravagant (and why not?!). But this dish can also be accompanied by a nice Vacqueyras, like Romain Duvernay 2011.
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp ground chipotle chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked or coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 12 1 inch thick loin lamb chops, fat trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups hickory wood chips, soaked in cold water 1 hour
- Mix first eight ingredients in a food processor and blend briefly (30 seconds max). Place lamb chops single layered in 13x9x2 inch glass dish. Pour marinade over, cover with foil and refrigerate four hours, turning lamb chops occasionally.
- Prepare the grill to medium high heat. When the coals turn white, drain chips and scatter over coals. When chips begin to smoke, season lamb with salt and pepper and place on grill. Cover and grill chops to desired doneness (about four minutes per side for medium rare) basting often with marinade.
- Transfer to platter and serve.
- Richard recently served this with purple potatoes, onions and garlic with rosemary tossed in olive oil and grilled alongside the chops.
- Asparagus is a classic pairing and when blanched ahead of time, can be quickly grilled with a brush of olive oil and squeeze of fresh lemon.
- Zucchini, halved lengthwise, also works quite nicely.