- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and coarsely chopped
- 4 1/2 to 5 pound pork shoulder (Boston Butt) bone in. Remove all packaging and binding material. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Use a large pre-heat crock pot with lid. Place onions and garlic in bottom. Place pork in crock pot. Pour apple juice and apple cider vinegar over pork. Evenly distribute salt over pork and throughout crock pot. Pour barbecue sauce over pork. Seal lid on crock pot. Cook on high for 6 to 8 hours until fork tender. Test – when you can pull the bone out cleanly, the pork is cooked. Turn off heat and remove lid. Allow steam to dissipate. Use two forks and strip the pork into bite sized pieces. Remove any fat. Serve on hamburger buns with some of the sauce from the crock pot drizzled over the meat.
Old Vine Garnacha de Fuego
A jammy and big fruited red wine that pairs well with roasted, grilled or smoked pork or beef.