Wine Pairing: A little sweet to cut the heat! My top two suggestions would be a dry Riesling like Bründlmayer (750 ml, $39.99) or an Alsace such as Trimbach (750 ml, $23.99). You could also enjoy this dish with a dry-ish Chenin Blanc such as Sauvion Vouvray (750 ml, $13.99), or Pine Ridge (750 ml, $14.99), a Chenin Blanc-Chardonnay. A nice Pinot Noir for those of you who love to have red wine with everything, I suggest Andre Dupuis Bourgogne (750 ml, $21.99).
- 3 lbs chicken, skinless and jointed
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 dried red chilies
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 2 black cardamom pods, split open
- 4 whole cloves
- 12 allspice berries
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp paprika
- 5 oz water
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 fresh green chilies, whole
- 2 tbsp ground almonds
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the cumin seeds until they start to pop.
- Add the onions, ginger, garlic and red chilies. Fry onions until soft – do not brown them.
- Add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms and allspice, stir and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the turmeric and paprika, stir and add the chicken. Fry for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add water and salt, brining to a boil, cover the pan and cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, green chilies and the ground almonds, stir and cook a another 6 minutes.
- Stir in the coriander leaves and serve over a fragrant rice pilaf.
Ingredients for Rice:
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Jasmine Rice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 fresh kaffir lime leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 tbsp dry-roasted cashews, salted and chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
Directions for Rice:
- Follow the package directions for whatever rice you choose.
- Add the bay and lime leaves, along with the salt when cooking the rice.
- After rice is fully cooked, add the fresh cilantro, peas and cashews.
This recipe is courtesy of CSWS staff member Richard and his dog Bella.