Wine Pairing: To compliment this recipe, we recommend Margerum Riviera Rosé (750ml – $17.99). This wine is bursting with aromas of framboise, watermelon candy and spice. It finishes dry, there is an incredible fruit plushness of wild strawberry on the palate and plenty of natural acidity ensuring a crisp, long finish. One of the best rosés we’ve tasted. You could also pair this dish with Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages (750ml – $12.99). This crisp, fruit-forward, juicy wine has expressive aromas and flavors of ripe red berries with nice weight in the mouth.
Ingredients for Chicken:
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp dried summer savory
- 4 or 5 lb roasting chicken (you can easily substitute breast, thighs or drumsticks)
Ingredients for Veggies:
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and halved
- 3 yellow squash (about 1 lb total), sliced lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick rectangles
- 3 zucchini (about 12 oz total), sliced lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick rectangles
- 3 Japanese eggplant (12 oz total), sliced lengthwise into 1/2 thick rectangles
- 12 cremini mushrooms
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed
- 12 green onions, root cut off
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 tsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
Directions for Chicken:
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a blender and blend until garlic and the bay leaf are finely chopped. Transfer mixture to bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat. Marinate chicken in refrigerator, breast side down, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and place rack in roasting pan. Remove chicken from marinade, reserving marinade. Place chicken on prepared rack and season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven until chicken is cooked through, basting occasionally with reserved marinade for about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Directions for Veggies:
- Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or prepare the barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Brush the vegetables with 1/4 cup of the oil to coast lightly. Sprinkle the vegetables until tender and lightly charred all over – about 8-10 minutes for the bell peppers, 7 minutes for the yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant and mushrooms, and about 4 minutes for the asparagus and green onions.
- Arrange the vegetables on a platter.
- Whisk the remaining 2 Tbsp of oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, parsley, basil and rosemary in a small bowl to blend. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle the herb mixture over the vegetables. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This recipe is a modified version from celebrity chef Giada De Laurentiis, courtesy of Cool Springs Wines & Spirits staffer, Richard, and his dog, Bella.