In recognition of the continual service and sacrifice made, we wanted to find a suitable food and beverage pairing that also works with this warm season. This simple, delicious American Hero Sub Sandwich is complemented beautifully with the Rebel I.P.A., a recent release from the Boston-based Samuel Adams.
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
1 Italian bread, with sesame seeds,about 24 inches long,cut in half lengthwise
1/2 c seeded and chopped pepperoncini pepper
1/2 c seeded and chopped cherry pepper
2 c finely shredded iceberg lettuce
4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
5 oz thinly sliced salami
5 oz thinly sliced capicola
5 oz thinly sliced cotto salami
5 oz thinly sliced mortadella
5 oz thinly sliced provolone cheese
salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oregano, mustard, salt and pepper.
2. Stir to mix well.
3. Whisk in the olive oil until incorporated.
4. On a work surface, lay out 3 long pieces of plastic wrap, placing them side by side and slightly overlapping.
5. Place the bottom half of the loaf over the wrap.
6. Spread the pepperoncini and cherry peppers over the bread.
7. Scatter evenly with the lettuce and layer with the tomatoes.
8. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of the dressing.
9. Layer the meats, one at a time, over the tomatoes, making sure to distribute them evenly.
10. Top with a layer of provolone cheese.
11. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the cut side of the top of the loaf.
12. Place top of loaf on the layered sandwich and enclose in the plastic.
13. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or for up to 4 hours to develop the flavors.
14. To serve, unwrap the sandwich and slice into large pieces about 3 to 4 inches wide.
~Recipe courtesy of Scripps Network